?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Scary

Making supper tonight, a thing happened. I was using a Pyrex baking bowl that I have used many thousands of times before. i was cooking apples in it, and chicken in another dish. Oven was set at 350 as usual. While I was in here reading I heard a dull thunp from the kitchen. Not sure what it was, or even if maybe it had come from some other part of the building. Everything sounds muffled with the snow falling. I went and looked in the oven anyway. The apples bowl had completly exploded, not just broken but actually blown up. Glass had sprayed all around inside the oven.

I resued the foods that I could, and waited for the oven to cool. I have now cleaned up the glass. I am just glad it blew up when it did, not when I was picking it up to take out! i think the apples got too dry, and the bowl may have been touching the one that holds the chicken. It just got uneavenly heated and boom! I am going to be much more careful from now on. It really is a horrible little oven, I am probably asking more of it than it was intended for.

Comments

( 9 comments — Leave a comment )
katriona_s
Feb. 22nd, 2015 08:35 am (UTC)
I'm glad you suffered no hurt, but it sounds terrifying! I know you are a good cook, but please be careful in your kitchen!!!!
eglantine_br
Feb. 22nd, 2015 08:44 am (UTC)
I am glad it did not explode in my hand, and especially glad it did not happen while anyone else was cooking. {Kids and husband cook sometimes too, and it would have scared me more if it happened to them!)
provencepuss
Feb. 22nd, 2015 09:10 am (UTC)
thermic shock; either the bowl was colder than you thought before you put it in the oven or it had a minute crack in it somewhere
eglantine_br
Feb. 22nd, 2015 03:00 pm (UTC)
That makes sense. More likely the second. Our place here is on the top floor, and quite warm.
charliecochrane
Feb. 22nd, 2015 03:03 pm (UTC)
Oh, how awful. *hugs*
ba1126
Feb. 22nd, 2015 04:12 pm (UTC)
So glad you are okay!!That sounds scary!!
thistle_chaser
Feb. 23rd, 2015 01:57 am (UTC)
Ack! A pain to clean up, but good timing indeed. I'm glad no one got hurt!
maggie_conagher
Feb. 23rd, 2015 06:48 pm (UTC)
I read about this in a housekeeping website. It is really common. You didn't do anything wrong.
vsee
Feb. 25th, 2015 11:24 pm (UTC)
I've had a pyrex baking dish shatter spectacularly just from being set down on the stovetop, while it was just out of my hand and full of food. Fortunately, I was able to let go and back up without getting sprayed with either glass or food. Pyrex seems to go this way, when it goes. As someone else mentioned, it probably had developed a stress fracture you couldn't see. I'm glad everyone at your house is OK.
( 9 comments — Leave a comment )